18.2.06

Circular No 224





Newsletter for Alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 18 of February 2006. No. 224
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
In my last Circular there was news on the BLOG that Don Mitchell set up in the WEB.
Great job Don! This way if you want to see the full edition of the Circular with photos and all, you just have to get into the Blog and “listo”.
Now I would like to make a short note for those that write, I need your comments to keep the Circular going, so please keep up with the Blog, but remember to write to the Circular.
This is true for you Don, I am a bit late all this year, because of the workload, but because I want to keep the Circular going, I might miss some datelines but you can be assured that until there is news, the newsletter is going to be a weekly affair.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Don Mitchell. CBE, QC" <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
Subject: circulars
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:53:55 -0400

Hello Ladislao,
There is not much of a story in the award of the CBE.
I really do not know the reason for it.
Many others do much, much more and get no recognition at all.
The citation that the Governor read out at the ceremony in September involved a lot of stuff that I did over the years.
It would embarrass me to have to repeat it.
Let us just say that it is the sort of thing the British do so well just before you die of old age.
I do have a photo.
In fact there are several photos.
They are on my photo album website in the album called "CBE Award Ceremony September 2005".
To see it go to the website www.clubphoto.com and enter my email address in the box where you are asked.
You will come to all my albums.
They are listed in alphabetical order and you choose the right one.
[I have been collecting all the better Mount photos gleaned from your Circulars on the same website as you will see.]
As I have previously written, Maggie and I are now retired back to Anguilla.
I do not own a law book and have no office.
I do the odd job for any government department or agency that needs a second independent opinion on some question.
I also help family, old friends and clients who need a little legal assistance.
The only condition I impose is that they must promise me they do not expect a bill.
We have reopened our house that had been shut up since August 1999.
We have moved back in and are busy rebuilding the gardens and making sure everything works.
Our guest shack [two bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms] still awaits visits from old Mount boys passing nearby who can make a diversion to Anguilla.
One of the activities that are keeping me busy at the moment is scanning all my thousands of photos into my computer.
I am saving them in .jpg format at a high enough resolution for printing, hopefully, and not just for email purposes.
I am not sure what I will do with them.
I have been vaguely thinking of writing an autobiographical work of some kind.
There is not much to write about in such a book, so I am thinking of calling it "A Life Not Worth Writing About."
It will be mainly pictures and not words.
I have just today come back from Jamaica where I went to speak to a meeting of West Indian lawyers in a regional organisation called the Organisation of Commonwealth Caribbean Bar Associations (OCCBA).
It was good to see the old island again.
I remember your visiting us there so many years ago!
On Thursday I go to Antigua to conduct an enquiry at the request of the Prime Minister into an allegation of conflict of interest on the part of the members of a public service utility.
It is politically a bit sensitive, as you will find for yourself if you Google "APUA Antigua board".
The following week I go to Nevis to talk to some more lawyers in a different organisation about some new developments.
For four weeks over Christmas I have six house guests!
By January I will need a vacation!
All the best,
Don
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 11:29 PM
Subject: Re: circulars

Dear Don,
And your dues?? How about a short essay on your CBE??
You have not mentioned it in any of you emails.
I need photos, and the whole story.
God Bless
Ladislao
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Don Mitchell, CBE, QC" <idmitch@anguillanet.com> wrote:

Hello Rafael,
I have been having computer problems, so have not been in touch for a while.
I have just seen in Circular No 199 that you may be still missing some back issues.
Are there any I can send to you?
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don Mitchell CBE QC wrote:

I have now posted Nos 218, 219, and 220 on this Blogger site for you to see how they look. All the best, Don
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INSTRUCTION FOR THE BLOG
You have been invited by Don Mitchell CBE QC to join a blog called
Abbey
School, Mount Saint Benedict
Blogger is a free service for easily communicating and sharing ideas on the web.
Next Steps:
1. Please follow the link below. If you do not follow this link, you will not be able to logon to the correct blog.
http://msbtunapuna.blogspot.com/
[Cut and paste the URL into your browser. Alternatively, click on the live link on the email message immediately below. These instructions only work if this invitation has been sent directly to you by Don. They do not work on a mailing list such as this one.]
2. If you already have a Blogger account, you will be asked to either accept of decline this invitation.
3. If you do not have a Blogger account, you can create one for free in less than a minute.
Just click the link and press the 'Create an Account' button.
Thanks!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Don Mitchell CBE, QC" <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
Subject: Ladislao's circulars
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:46:16 -0400

I posted No 217 as an experiment by emailing it to the Blog site instead of copying and pasting it as a Word document as I had done for the previous ones.
I found that allowed the links in Ladislao's text to appear live.
Any other suggestions for improvement welcome.
Don
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From this exchange there seems to be a need to identify yourself as a Mount boy. You could maybe mention the class year?? Fr Bernard??
I shall look in the Blog as soon as I manage to clean the backlog of emails that I have since Xmas 2005.
Sorry but rest assured that all that have written are going to be responded and placed in a Circular.
The last number taken up is 231 that is going to be on Dion Fakoory.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Don Mitchell CBE, QC" <idmitch@anguillanet.com
Subject: Website
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:03:35 -0400

Hello Ladislao,
Please apologise to Gyuris Attila for my having prevented him from joining, and tell him that if he re-tries, I shall not disconnect him.
I guess that many people will be joining the site now that you have publicised it in the Circular.
Anyone gaining permission to join as a member will be able to post what they choose without my being able to prevent them.
They may post offensive stuff.
I shall be careful to add only persons I recognise to be Mount Boys.
Of course, I shall always be able to delete offensive stuff once it has been published.
All the best,
Don
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: website

Dear Don,
It is Gyuris Attila an old boy form California, US.
God Bless
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Don Mitchell CBE, QC" <idmitch@anguillanet.com> wrote:

Hello Ladislao,
Someone called "guris" accepted your invitation to join the website.
I assume that is not you, and I have deleted it as it must be someone who is not authorised.
If it was really you, I apologise, and please join again, but this time tell me it is you!!
All the best,
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:41:00 +0800
From: "Elspeth O'Connor" peth99@optusnet.com.au
Subject: Cheque

Can you let me know the Mt. St. Benedict address of the bank in the U.S. and the account number so I can send you the cheque to your address.
Thanks.
Richard
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Edward Watson" <edward.watson@perfectpower.co.tt>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:32:10 -0400

HI Ladislao,
I always enjoy the Photos I don’t really have any problems with the size of my “Box”
However I have a dial up connection and any thing over 1-1.5 MB takes forever to down load.
So once the attachments do not exceed 1-1.5 MB I’m cool
Ed Watson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUES, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK preferably from any U.S. Bank, to my address,: sorry but under the new laws of Venezuela, I cannot receive or send foreign currency, if caught I can be placed in jail for 3 years on the first offence, so please sent it direct to the Bank of America account of Ladislao Kertesz 02181 09151, Santa Barbara, California, USA.
For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.
God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos in this issue:
2005DM0001DMICBE, Don Mitchell CBE ceremony
2005DM0002DMICBE, Don Mitchell CBE ceremony
1961UN0001EDIMSB, New Refectory
2004UN001CGYMSB, Fr.Abbot and clergy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





No comments: