9.12.06

Circular No 266





Newsletter for Alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 9 December 2006. No. 266
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
I am introducing Stanley Achong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Andres:
Thanks for forwarding me the email and family picture the Stanley sent you.
His family looks great and he certainly still recognizable as the Stanley Achong (standing on the right side) I remember from so many years ago.
This is wonderful.
The list of Abbey School Old Boys from our generation is growing thanks to the internet.
I remember Stanley well, especially when he was giving me (and others) guitar lessons in the staircase well at the east end of the main building.
If I remember correctly, each 1 hr guitar lesson was 25 cents TT.
He was already a business entrepreneur back then.
If you haven't already, you might want to direct him to Don Mitchell’s excellent website about the Abbey School, memories, circulars and many old pictures:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:13:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: THE_ABBEY_SCHOOL Form II 1965-66 .JPG
To: "Achong"

Hi. Me again Stanley:
Sitting to the right of Rommel Rosero in the front row is Fulvio Cantore.
In the back row about five from the right might be Adolfo Brito D'Aumaitre whom we used to call "Tucupita".
I know this is not of much help but it is better than nothing.
Attila and I are probably better at the faces of the "Venezuelans" and you are probably better at the faces of the "Trinidadians".
I am also not sure if in Carlos Hoffle is in the photo.
He passed away from cancer quite some years back.
I also don't see Gonzalo Montiel in the photo and if I remember correctly he was also in our class but then I don't fully rely on my hazy recollections.
Regards
Andres
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:06:31 -0800 (PST)
From: "Andres Larsen"
Subject: THE_ABBEY_SCHOOL Form II 1965-66 .JPG
To: "Achong"

Hi Stanley:
Attila did send me a copy. I recognize Specs next to the teacher.
Between Specs and the kid way at left somewhere at the middle left of the bottom row is Rommel Rosero.
I don't know if the guy up at the right is Rampersad.
I also am not sure whether either of the two blond guys is Josh Schoemaker or David Quesnel.
Regards
Andres
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESUME
From: "Achong"
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:50:58 -0500

Hi Andres, Attilla, Neil:
Thanks for the pics they surely bring back very special memories of my time at the Abbey.
Many of the names are very familiar but I don't have faces to go with them.
It has been a long time and I have gone through many journeys in my life since then.
I have been living in Toronto Canada, since 1975, and was at the Abbey approx 1964 - 1969.
This is really a good thing that the guys are doing in getting old mates back in touch with other and I hope we can all meet some day.
I got married in Trinidad just prior to immigrating to Canada.
I have two sons, Jeremy and Jeffrey 29 and 27 and I imagine they will be leaving the "nest" pretty soon (smile)
I've worked mostly in the Computer industry here in Toronto and have been self employed for roughly 25 yrs now.
For the past 10 yrs, I have been distributing automotive parts at a wholesale level to garages and dealers in Toronto.
With the precious little time I have left, my wife Judy and I have been doing Ballroom dancing, photography and quite a bit of travelling.
Next year, if things go as planned, I will be in Trinidad for a few days and hope to visit the Abbey.
This visit I am looking forward too because I have not been there for almost 25 years.
Pls keep in touch and keep the pics coming.....
Regards,
Stan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Achong"
To: "Andres Larsen"
Subject: Your friend Stan
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:48:58 -0500

Hi Andres:
Surprise, surprise.... I just happened to do a search on my name in Google and ended up at the Abbey school web site.
I'm so happy to hear that you are well and flattered to know that you remembered me.
Many of the names I recall quite vividly and your recollection of our days at the Abbey certainly brings back great memories of the past.
I have been living in Toronto, Canada since 1975 and have only been back to Trinidad once, approx 20 years ago.
Mom spends the Summer with us in Canada and Winter with my sister Diane, who still resides in Trinidad.
I have two children Jeremy and Jeffrey.
Jeremy is presently partnered with me in our Autoparts wholesale business here in Toronto.
Jeffrey does computer programming with Epson Canada.
Please Andres, if you are ever coming to Toronto Canada please let us know because we would love to have you stay with us.
Regards,
Stan
My address:
Stanley & Judith Achong
45 Supino Crescent
Brampton, Ontario, L6P1X3 Canada
905-790-0101(Home)
905-264-7278(Work)
hanlan@pathcom.com
P.S. Andres could you send me some pictures of yourself.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Achong wrote:
Hi Andres:
I received this picture from Attila yesterday and was not sure whether you had a copy.
I recognize almost all the faces with some names but not all.
If possible, could you get someone to give all the names,
You are second from left rear row and Attila thinks that I amd in the centre "too shy to lift my chin up"(smile).
I suggested to Atilla that he should charter one of those Boeing 737 jets and fly us down to Trinidad and along the way pickup you and the rest of the Old Boys.
Regards,
Stan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attila, would you by any chance still have Laszlo's Newsletter with the snapshots of me attached available on hand ???
If so could you please, please, forward the Newsletter along with the snapshots to Stanley's e-mail address: hanlan@pathcom.com up in Toronto ?
Cordially appreciative as always
Andres
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Ladislao:
Please send Stanley Achong at his current e-mail address: hanlan@pathcom.com your updated Abbey School Newsletter on me with the snapshots of me I sent you.
Very many thanks and cordially yours,
Andres Larsen
Caracas, Venezuela
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Stanley, here's an e-mail I'm forwarding to you from Jan Koenraadt in the Netherlands.
Saturday, December 2, 2006 1:22:34 PM

Hello Stanley:
Here is an e-mail for you from Jan Koenraadt in the Netherlands.
I no longer remember him but he is the second Abbey School Old Boy along with Attila Gyuris who lauds your guitar lessons on the main building staircase.
While you were doing that I was probably in the library above the refectory busily cutting out photographs of Field Marshalls Rommel (of the Afrika Korps) and Montgomery from books.
I also remember the Saturday night black and white movies like Stromboli with Sophia Loren; To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck; and Of Human Bondage with Kim Novak.
Incidentally I also recall that in our literature classes we read Somerset Maugham's classic about the Gilbert and Ellice Islands out in the Pacific.
Regards
Andres Larsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan Koenraadt jankoenraadt@casema.nl
Thanks for the foto of Stanley Achong.
The name rings a bell, the face looks familiar, I crack my memories how he looked like then.
Any picture of him in his guitar lessons time? Got myself only two lessons, this Tom Doodle song".
Then Bobo came, we disturbed his afternoon nap.
No more guitar lessons.
But I kept my guitar, so nowadays my son is playing hard rock metallic on stage in a beatgroup, all electric, ha ha.
Greetings from Jan Koenraadt
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, December 1, 2006 2:11:51 PM

Hi Stanley:
You should hit paydirt with either Attila Gyuris or Ladislao Kertesz (the latter is the coordinator and issuer of the Abbey School Old Boys' Network Newsletters).
I'm forwarding copies via e-mail of our exchange to both of them
Regards
Andres
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Achong wrote:

Hi Andres:
I think I will be able to put names to most of the faces if I had a list of the names in the class.
Do you have any contacts who could furnish such a list....
Regards,
Stan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is for now, hope that all that knew Stan, gets in contact with him.
God Bless.
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04SA0001SACWFE, Stanley Ahong and wife Judy
06SA0001SACFSH, Stanley and the fish.
06SA0002SACWFE, Stanley Achong and wife Judy
06SA0003SACFAM. Stanley Achong´s family
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

ian gomes said...

I attended MSB between 1968 & 1972. My brother also. His name is Nigel Gomes. class mates were Johnny Garcia, Keith Allen Winston Copeland, Kelvin & Kamal Khan, Kieron Pierre, Joseph Jagwansingh,Garth Alexander, Glen & Hudson Mc Koy, Joeseph Berment, Pedro & Salvador Coscarat, Wayne Chang, Glen Evelyn, Michael & Gregory Barcant Etc. I Know John Gionetti as well. The names can go on &on.