14.1.06

Circular No 219





Newsletter for Alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 14 of January 2006. No. 219
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Some of you might wonder, and the attachments? If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know, use Kertesz11@yahoo.com, the best way to send the message.

I am sorry that no one was able to identify the photo of “Pepe” Braggio, not even himself !!.

I still have lots of photos with unknowns and shall be sending you at least one that does not nave a name.

I expect to receive Raul Leoni´s address soon, from “Cheche” who is in Florida.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Art & Val Knaggs
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2005 8:22 PM
To: mikeandval@dsl.pipex.com
Subject: Mount Old Boys

Dearest Mike & Val,
Roses (Knaggs) Eckel and I have been exchanging adventures, and she mentioned crossing your paths recently, so I took the liberty of scrounging your e-mail address from her.
Time flies, and here we are in the Autumn of our youth still ploughing along on our fabulous journey of life, and really savouring (as best we can) every moment, and every step of the way.
Every day is not always good day, yet life's voyage is a blend of attitude, aptitude and balance, with a sprinkling of laughter and good humour, and saturated in love and caring (always with our eyes and hearts lifted up towards He who guides us).
As I reflect on those wonderous days at the Mount, I seem to remember a nick name like "Donkey mane" and guess it came from the length of your hair (and no other extremity.
Don't know if you are aware (all the way up in the frozen North Sea, Abberdeen) but the younger generation have taken over the Olympic Easter Candle of the Abbey School, and have continued the race of drawing together and binding the various Years of Scholastic Wisdom, by putting out a weekly Bulletin which covers the goings-on of all the past students they can wrangle together.
Ladislao Kertesz of Venezuela, heads the group of enthusiasts working on this project, and I have taken the liberty of passing on your name so that you can be involved as a recipient of the various individuals that shared the spirit and wonder of the Monestery and the lives of the fabulous Priests and Brothers who dedicated their time, talent and treasure in moulding us into what we have become today.
If you can spare a few moments to update us on a brief synopsis of your journey, it would be a fantastic contribution to all those exposed to it I am sure.
I was at Mount from 1944 to 1949, and am retired now for about 8 years, having moved to Canada in 1978.
We have 6 off-spring, in our alphabetical way, A, B and C are in our area of Nova Scotia; D is in New Brunswick; E is in Sheffield, England; and F is in Tobago (her Husband Iain Mac Kinnon is with High Ropes and works on the Offshore Rigs in the North Sea (or whereever else they send him).
We have 9 Grans and another on the way; and love the snow (especially when we leave it and venture down to the W.I.
So do drop us a line, and if there are any other Old Boys hovering around your area, please 'sook' me onto them so we can make contact.
Just got hold of Vitalis Gomes, Earl Kayne, and the younger Tyrone Soodeen, along with Trevor Evelyn (who is computer challenged - so no e-mail).
Love to Val, and look forward to hearing from you.
Love and fondest regards,
Art & Val

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still looking for Joe Azar, and unfortunately even with the help of all of you, I relieve that the triangle of Bermudas must have moved to Portland Oregon and its whereabouts.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Salvador Coscarart

Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 3:14 AM

Hola Ladislao ,
en tu e-mail me preguntas por JOE AZAR Where is he .
Is he the same Michael AZAR ?
saludos
Salvador.

------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Ladislao Kertesz"

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:48:13 +0000

Dear Salvador
Thank you for the email, it shall be placed in the Circular.
Still no luck with Joe Azar?
I presume that no one has the guts to clear the matter.
Well only destiny knows.
Merry Xmas
Ladislao

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Attila GYURIS

To: Salvador Coscarat

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:07:50 -0800 (PST)

Hello Salvador:
Thank you very much for calling.
You made my day.
It was very nice to talk with you and reminisce after more than 35 years.
I am looking forward to receiving the VCR tape about the 2003 MSB old boys reunion.
Attached are some recent photos of me and the family.
God Bless you and your family during these holidays.
Attila

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Now a little resume from your editor, of last weeks visits:

I just returned from a short three day trip to the East of Venezuela.
On the first day I met Wbladimiro Diaz, (Class 1975) my dentist in Puerto La Cruz.
On the second day I contacted Elias Farcheg, (Class 1960) who lives in El Tigre, see you his photo.
I was to have met Eloy Moffie and Oscar Cantore but no luck as, although I had initial contact with them, their cellphone was unavailable for the actual rendezvous.
The same happened with Edgar Moffie on the third Day.
As it is said, there is a long way between wishing to meet and to meeting.
Maybe next time.
I try to include photos of all oldboys whom I meet, but there has to be a meeting, otherwise I can only include the photos that I get thru email which is scarce.
Most alumni do not have digital or scanned photos, even as there is a spacecraft going to Pluton, launched yeserday.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
An old letter from Clive Bettencourt dated, 20 April 1983.

Dear Arthur,

Lovely to hear from you and thanks for sending OASIS. How it brings back memories.
I was very happy at the Mount more so than at school in England.
Sorry to hear of the death of Fr. Anselm, Leo and Bede.
Fr. Leo I knew very well and he even came to marry Maurice Correia in Guyana.
Fr. Ildefons and Fr. Bernard I remember with fond memories and many of the “boys” you mention.
I left Costa Rica in October 1980 as I did not like what was happening in Central America.
We, Marcelle and I went to live there in 1971 and our three girls were born there.
We loved the country and the people and were very happy but left really for the children.
How “we” have spread out around this globe.
We were down in Guyana recently and had to overnight in Trinidad.
Guyana as you know has gone to hell and the little I saw of Trinidad I did not like.
Cecil Ince who you mention in the newsletter lives next to my sister in Barbados and Trevor Evelyn, my good friend; I am the God father of one of his daughters, Simone.
So my good friend Paul Slinger gave me you address.
We were very friendly in Guyana and Trinidad and had some great times together.
Arthur enclosed is a ten bucks note.
When I have a family photograph I’ll send you one.
Lovely to hear from you
Yours
Clive Bettencourt Gomes.

(Can anyone help with Paul Slinger or his brother? Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Gittens, Peter W.;Gittens, Peter W.
Date: 6/28/2005 9:36:46 PM

Dear Ladislao,
A bit of a surprise to see pictures from my web page on Circular 190.
Anyway thanks for doing so.
There was a phone message from Salvador on my voice mail, but I did not get one digit of his number, so I am unable to call him back.
Kindly send me his telephone number so that I can return his call.
Sincere best wishes,
Peter Gittens.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Peter Gittens"

To: "'Salvador Coscarart'"

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:50:55 -0600

Dear Salvador,
Sorry about the delay in responding.
It seems that we had similar experiences.
With loss of electricity, we lost all our refrigerated and frozen food, and had to replace the compressor on the AC due to a power surge.
Luckily my insurance paid for the food and the Air conditioning service.
My phone number is 504 362-1988, cell is 504 715-5114, Office at Our Lady of Holy Cross College is 504 398-2142.
Do give me a call if/when you are in my area.
A Blessed and Merry Christmas to you and family,
Sincerely,
Peter Gittens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Salvador Coscarart [mailto:salborbolla@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 9:03 PM
To: petegitt@cox.net>

Hello Mr Gittens,
How are you?
I am glad that you are recovering from Katrina.
No we did not get any damages to our house but lost all the food in both houses when the power was lost for 8 days and then when the power came back it burn the AC , but nothing compare to what you guys lost in New Orleans.
My phone # is 337-668-4595 at home and my cell is 337-303-6124 so please if you want call me so at least we can meet.
some times I pass by Harvey on the way to Venice so if you send me your phone I can call to meet with you one of these days, well my friend have a very merry x-mas and a prosperous new year 2006.
God bless.
Salvador Coscarart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Peter Gittens"

To:

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:08:44 -0600

Dear Salvador,
I got a message from you several; months ago, but apparently, I accidentally deleted the message before replying.
I e-mail Ladislao to get your e-mail address, but he did not reply.
Luckily I saw it today on the latest Mount Bulletin.
I have been living in Harvey LA from August 2001.
Before that I lived in Ontario Canada for about 30 years.
Hurricane Katrina did a bit of damage in my neighbourhood, but I was lucky to have no water damage or any flooding; only some wind damage.
I lost some roof shingles, but I will be getting a new roof this week.
Were you in any way affected by Katrina or Rita?
Any, sincere best wishes to you and family for a blessed and Merry Christmas.
Peter Gittens.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
To chat with your editor, use Kaviacion@hotmail.com, or Kertesz11@yahoo.com.
Maybe this is easier for some of you to ask or give information.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK preferably from any U.S. Bank, to my address:

Ladislao Kertesz
Apartado 69072
Caracas 1062A Venezuela

For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.

God Bless

Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo in this issue:
2006LK0120EFRETI, Elias Farcheg, photo taken last week.
1911UN0003EDIMSB, Painting of a hut. (Can anyone recall de painter, what is the title and if it has to do with MSB and where it can be seen.
1964UN0001FBEANT, Fr.Benedict with antenna for TV reception, did it work?
1958IF0001BASGRP, Need the names of the Basketball team.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would you like to collaborate with photos?? Send them to kertesz11@yahoo.com,
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
Look at www.paxabbey.com, for information on the Monastery, Mt St. Benedict.
Look up for great TT photos at: Web Site: http://jgioannettiphotography.com/
For those that want to communicate with the web use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com/
Send information to: kertesz11@yahoo.com, if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.

Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com,

For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela’s time is th
e same as Trinidad’s, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: