25.11.06

Circular No 264



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 25 of November 2006. No. 264
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is the Circular with the latest from Robert de Verteuil.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robert deVerteuil bobdev@tstt.net.tt
Tuesday, January 9, 2007 11:30:26 AM
Dear Ladislao,
As I mentioned to you recently I have not received your news letters for a few years because I changed my email ad and did not tell you.
Somehow I could not get back in touch with you and so thought that maybe you were ‘off the air’!
Anyway, that’s fixed and I am now getting the latest for which many thanks.
I went onto Don’s web site (for the first time) and was able to ketch up on 2006 bulletins.
I am amazed at the number of letters that you both deal with and more so with the number of contributors that are in touch especially those of my MSB era ’55-’58.
I am reminded of the fights, teachers, day boys, games, dorm activities, choir, movies, detention, hedgings, marbles, food (?), ‘white stones’, scouts and most of all, ‘licks’…plenty of licks!!
Somehow, I was always getting thrashed by Fr. Augustine (boys hiding contraband in my locker and then squealing);  and Fr. Eugene (Wayne Henderson standing behind me during a serious solo and poking me in the ribs, collapsing the rows of boys in front of me like dominoes… I carry the pessi whip scars to this day); and the odd time by Fr Bernard for fighting with my cousin Mac Seheult (actually he came charging at me and I ducked, absolutely terrified, and he tripped over me and cut himself); and Fr Chrisostym (for refusing to let him confiscate my marbles when I refused to pull out his grey hairs…one marble returned per hair pulled), and saw very few Saturday movies.
If I did go, I had to sit near the projector facing the back wall.
When not so privileged, I was in the classroom working out 56.78 to the power of 10 (accurate to 23 decimal places) while hearing the movie in the distance.
There were, of course, many good times and fond memories (to this day) which prepared me for boarding school in the UK where I didn’t join the ‘marble’ team, didn’t join the choir, avoided quarrels that might lead to fights and not keen on movies.
I stuck to tennis which got me away from school often.
To the many boys from the 55-58 era and others, who contribute to your bulletins, I enjoy hearing about your exploits in ‘adulthood’ and hope to hear more from you as time goes by!!
Kindest regards to you Ladislao.
Robert deVerteuil
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robert deVerteuil <bobdev@tstt.net.tt>
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 11:59:16 AM
Mea Culpa!!
I changed my address when I got Hi Sped from tstt and should have notified you.
I will put together a few lines on the TYC and MSB users etc but cannot do so right now.
Will get info and have it to you soonest.
Regards
Robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Robert,
I have received your message and the material.
I am extremely sorry that you did not receive my circulars.
I have you as rdev@tstt.net.tt, and I send it thru Netscape.net, for all TT alumni.
I am going to send it in circular No. 264. So, there is time for you to send some additional information
Such like:
How many old boys use the yacht club. Can you give me a rundown of each???. Gordon Mitchell? and others?? Rolph hive (no email?)
In my times the thing to be in was the Royal Yacht Club. I have no information on when the name was changed. I am sure that a few lines would be interesting for those that went to MSB in the 1950 and 1960s.
Also I believe that it burned down??
I suppose there is the weekly regatta.
Waterpolo?
So please take up the quill and help me.
God bless
Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Robert deVerteuil bobdev@tstt.net.tt
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:50:13 AM
Dear Ladislao,
I had really given up hope as I had not heard from you and realised that something was wrong!!!
Anyway, delighted to hear from you again and now hope to get back on a mailing list as I have not had a 'bulletin' for about 3 years.
Att are a few words and 2 pics.
Unfortunately I do not have a recent photo of my son.
Hope these will do for now.
Belated season greetings to you and yours.
Regards
Robert
(Please acknowledge receipt so I will know you got this)
After leaving MSB in 1958 went to Ratcliffe College, Kings LynnTech. and Luton Tech (all in UK). Did a Pupilage and worked with the Rootes Group (Commercial Vehicle Manufacturers) ’63 to ’66. Returned to T&T, married in '69 and worked with the AIL vehicle Assy. plant from ’67 until ’91 when ops. ceased. Moved to the Mitsubishi dealership and retired in ’04.
One son and 2 beautiful grand daughters.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, December 25, 2006 12:21 PM
Dear Robert,
From my last email you must have guessed that I am reading old emails and replying, long overdue.
But I have not read the newer ones because of work and computer problems since my son left for Spain.
I now must learn to fix computers etc.
Well that is life.
Still I need a photo and the resume because your file does not have information for the posterity.
I usually check the files to see if there is something missing.
Remember Circular No. 256 has your name.
God bless
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Robert deVerteuil bobdev@tstt.net.tt
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:37:12 AM
Hi Ladislao,
I sent you a note a few days ago regarding one that you sent me.
Since then, a friend of mine who never went to MSB sent me your latest Circ. #243 which he received!!
He has in fact received several in the past.
Anyway, since I have not received anything from you for about 2 years and any attempt to get a note to you failed, I thought maybe you had quit with the circulars.
It appears not!
I note that you are in need of funds to keep the issues going. I am more than happy to make a contribution but would rather do so when I see you as I do not send credit card info by email and it is still a hassle to ‘wire’ funds abroad.
So please find time to visit us in T&T.!!! I still hang out at the yacht club and there are other MSB old boys there anxious for a small get together. (Rolph Hive, Gordon Mitchell, Malcolm Boyack, etc).
Is the old boys web site still kept up to date?
I would like to visit it again after the years I have not heard from you!!
Please send the address if it is still going.
I look forward to getting a note from you when you get time.
Best regards
Robert deVerteuil
(Maybe we can discuss the funds if I can spend a day or two in TT due to the restrictions by the government.  Ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well that is for now.
God Bless.
Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06RD0001RDEVTT, Robert De Verteuil
06RD0002RDEVTT, Grands
Resending with all the names
06NC0002NCHGRP, Neil Charles, and group DOES ANYONE HAVE THE EMAIL ADDRESSES TO ALL THOSE IN THE PHOTO?
06NC0003NCHGRP, Neil Charles, and group DOES ANYONE HAVE THE EMAIL ADDRESSES TO ALL THOSE IN THE PHOTO?





No comments: