18.11.06

Bulletin No 263


Newsletter for Alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 18 November 2006. No. 263.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends
Before we start, I have included a large photo with all the students at The Abbey School, at that time, 1954??
I need your help in suggesting corrections as three kids were left out in the original numbering system, which I copied directly from the original photo. Thanks to Leary O´Connor.
Now let us welcome Michael Laughlin, whose first lines for the Circular are:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Laughlin
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:17:41 PM
Hi Ladislao,
YES I am an old boy from Mount.
I went there, as a boarder, between 1967 and 1970.
So probably a bit after your time.
My brother Harry Laughlin went there just before me - probably 1962 to 1967, so you might know him?
I went during the time of Peter Quesnel, Michael Torry, Derek Phillips and Michael Dornellas.
Where can I find the class of 1970 names?
Good luck,
Michael A. Laughlin
Managing Director
INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING LIMITED
4-6 Scott Bushe Street,
P.O.Box 535,
Port-of-Spain,
Trinidad, W.I.
Tel # 868-623-1818
Fax # 868-623-8977
Cell # 868-678-4708
www.isltrinidad.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: ladislao kertesz [mailto:kertesz12@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:04 PM
Dear Michael
I hope that you are an ALUMNI of The Abbey School.
Please reply
God Bless
Ladislao Kertesz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
school photo
Gillian O'Connor
060608
Hi Ladislao,
I am just checking as to whether you received the school photo that Leary sent to you, accompanied by some comments.
Also the copy of the email he sent to David de Castro.
I know I sent it to two of your addresses as was not sure which one you were using but due to a typing error, I got the yahoo bit wrong.
Before I saddle you with that long email again I just want to check if you got it so could you please drop me a quick line.
Thanks and sorry about that.
Gillian
Hope this is what you wanted resent.
Did you also get a cc of the email I sent to David de Castro?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 5:23 PM
Subject: School photo
Hi Ladislao,
Hope you get this in one piece as it is my second effort.
Wrote it all out and then deleted it in error so have redone it.
We enjoy receiving your newsletters so thanks for those.
I have attempted to put names to numbers/faces but others may have different ideas and would be glad to hear them.
I will try and contact David de Castro to see if he could help me identify some of the younger boys.
Cheers,
Leary O'Connor
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Gillian O'Connor
Sent: Friday, September 16, 9:20 AM
Subject: Leary O'Connor
Hi Ladislao,
I am about to pay with my 50 words as would like to continue receiving your Newsletter.
Please keep what is of interest to you and discard the rest.
Born in 1934 December and started at Mount in May 1945.
At that stage there were only about 13 students of differing ages.
Graduated in December 1953 having sat School Cert in 1951 and Highers in 1953.
The Laboratory was only commissioned in the start of 1952 so we were the first group to sit Chemistry at that level.
The boys I remember sitting Higher Cert with me were Jaime D'andrade, Trevor Soodeen, Peter Gaffney.
Worked with Texaco (under various names) between 1954 and 1957 as a student apprentice and a further two years in Production Department.
In 1959 I went to work with Skinner Drilling and two years later moved to BP Trinidad where I stayed until I emigrated to Australia.
At that stage I was the Production Superintendent.
In 1959 I married Gillian nee Lange and we had five children in quick time by 1966.
We moved to Perth , Western Australia in July 1967 with the five children still under the age of 7 which was a bit of a shock to the system!
Continued to work in oil with West Australian Petroleum (WAPET) until I retired in June 1994; most of my work was out of Perth at Barrow Island and later Thevenard Island off the Northwest shelf, which meant spending a lot of time away from the family.
The five children all married and we are the proud grandparents of sixteen grandchildren ranging in age from 18 to 2 and as they all live within easy distance we see a fair bit of them.
We have a block of land where I dabble with avocado and citrus trees - tried the exotics but they were quickly destroyed by parrots and/or rabbits.
No financial gain but keeps me fit.
I do a bit of work with St Vincent de Paul and belong to various church groups and these activities keep me out of trouble.
Do not get back to Trinidad too often but did see Fr. Ildefonse the year before he died.
He did not remember my name but as soon as he saw me he said "Oh! It's Peewee".
I spent many happy years with the First Mount Scout Group and the first batch of Queen's Scouts.
Enough for now, thanks for all the news.
Leary O'Connor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glen Mckoy
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:52:52 PM
My dear friends,
My father passed away peacefully on Nov 6th, in Brampton Ontario, and was buried on Nov.11
The funeral services ect. went very well. We wanted something small and quiet, just family but our family flew in from Holland, USA, Suriname, Curacao, Aruba, Trinidad and Tobago and Canada.
My friends in Toronto I am sorry for not contacting you but if I did it would be a carnival.
At times you would think it was a wedding, with so much joy to see each other after 30 yrs or more, my father had 3 great grands also what a man and what a life.
So I was down for a while but back up now.
Love to you all
Glen
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is going to be only one photo in this issue.
Its large size prevents me from including others.
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: 54UN0001LOCTAS, the alumni of The Abbey School 1954?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: