15.4.06

Circular No 232





Newsletter for Alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 15 April 2006. No. 232
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Continuing with Attila Gyuris, emails received until January. February and March emails are going to be in No. 235
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:00:28 -0800 (PST)
From: "Attila GYURIS"
Thanks Laszlo,
Here are some names of some of the old boys that I didn't see in the roll call list, I remember from way back then are: (I have lost track of all over the years.)
*****************************************************************
Name - Year attended or graduated Form V.
Attila Gyuris: -That's me. I graduated Form V in 1969, attended MSB for 5 years from 1964 to 1969, from Caracas, Venezuela
Andres Larsen: - graduated From V in 1969, attended MSB from 1964 to 1969, from Caracas, Venezuela. Eventually went into the banking business in Venezuela.
Fulvio Cantore - graduated 1969, from Venezuela. He was in charge of the "pop corn" machine. His Dad would pick him up in a Beechcraft "V" tail Bonanza private airplane for the ride home to Anaco, Venezuela along with Pablo Kecskemeti (Keke). Every time Fulvio's Dad would come to pick him up at the end of a Term, he would buzz the Mount with his airplane before landing at Piarco Airport. He would do the same when departing, and we would know who it was. We all thought it was very impressive.
Jose Messana - graduated 1969, from Venezuela
Lindsay Moffatt - graduated 1969. from St Lucia
Derek Fakoory - graduated 1968 (?). from Trinidad.
Andres (?) Robleda - attended 1965-1968 - from Venezuela.
The 2 Malavér brothers (Frank and ?) - attended 1967-68 (did not graduate), from Venezuela.
Rudi Polderman - from Holland. attended 1966-1968 (did not graduate), One of MSB's best swimmers.
Jan Koenradt - left when in from IV in 1966, from Surinam
Josh Shoemaker - graduated 1969. He was from Holland but living in Trinidad at the time. His father was a sugar mill employee there. After graduating from MSB his entire family moved to Hilo, Hawaii (big Island), as his father got another job offer in the sugar mills there.
? Costelloe - 1969. he was with me in Scouts.
Raul Leoni (Jr) - the son of the then current Venezuelan President Raul Leoni. Attended 1965-1966
Rommel Rosero - attended 1965-1966, From El Tigre, Venezuela. After leaving MSB, he attended Universidad Simon Bolivar in Caracas with me. Graduated as Ingeniero Electronico in 1977.
Aquiles Duran - attended 1965-1966 (?). From Venezuela. He later became a commercial pilot last known flying for Aeropostal Airlines in Venezuela (1992).
Carlos Korda - attended 1964 – 1966, from Caracas Venezuela.
? Scannone. he was there around 1966 ?. from Venezuela. He was a good swimmer.
Michael D'Ornellas - graduated 1969(?), from Trinidad - I remember him as always the class clown and an accomplished artist with the colored chalk.
Ladislao Grossman - attended 1965 ? - from Venezuela - He was in the Aqualads swimming team.
The 2 Ache brothers -
Ronny Lew - (aka Little Nazi) - graduated 1969. From Venezuela. Accomplished "biddy" basketball player, like his big brother.
Mr. "Tucu" - 1964-1966 the basketball team coach.
Mr. Basanta - the Spanish language teacher.
Miss Kitty - the school's (and Bobo's) secretary, and Form V Chemistry teacher.
Fr. Theo - Fr. Gregory's (el Pato) brother from Holland. He was not a Benedictine monk. He was there "in exile" from Holland only for two years (1965 to 1967). He was the dean of discipline but he was always friendly to all the boys.
Mr. Yip Chuck - a great adv. Math and Physics teacher.
There are many more names that I can't recall right now - even though I have their faces in my mind's eye - and this could go on and on, so I better send it already...
As soon as I remember more names I will send their names and years attended to the best of my recollection.
******************************************************************
From: "Attila GYURIS"
To: "Salvador Coscarat"

Dear Salvador,
I just received your VHS tape in the mail of the old Abbey School facility & buildings of the 2003 MSB and the "Old Boys" Reunion there, along with all the picture of your family.
Thank you very much.
You have a beautiful family, congratulations.
I immediately watched about 30 minutes of it. Oh what memories!....the small boys dorm, the old chemistry lab and infirmary building, the Refectory with the theatre stage and movie hall upstairs and the old movie projector perch, the water tanks, the water reservoir in the bush, the woodwork shop etc. etc....they were all still there.
(Too bad you were not able to get inside the main school building to also video the Form IV & V boys rec rooms, the old classrooms, the study hall and the "big boys" dorms upstairs)....
All in all, your video triggered vividly so many old memories, so many situations and names long forgotten.
As soon as I get a breather from all the Christmas upheaval here at the house, I will sit down and watch all of it in peace and quiet.
Since this is decidedly an emotionally nostalgic & historical video for many of us, I will also attempt to make a copy to a DVD for you, so it is preserved in a stable medium and it will not deteriorate for many many years.
Then you will be able to make copies for all your friends of this DVD without any generational video quality losses.
I am sure many Old Boys will want a copy of it.
Regards,
Attila Gyuris
Alumnus
The Abbey School
Sep 1964- Jul 1969
-……………………………………………………………………………
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:41:50 -0800 (PST)
From: "Attila GYURIS"

Hola Laszlo,
No me mandaste el circular #209. Lo saltaste.
Me acabo de llamar Salvador Coscarat desde Lafayette, Louisiana.
Que sorpresa tan grande!
Hablamos bastante tiempo.
Fue muy ameno poder hablar con el, y hacer recuerdos despues de mas de 35 años. Gracias a ti y tus circulares.
Keep up the good work!
Attila
…………………………………………………………………………
From: Attila GYURIS <gyuris@yahoo.com>
To: Salvador Coscarat <salborbolla@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:07:50 -0800 (PST)

Hello Salvador,
Thank you very much for calling.
You made my day.
It was very nice to talk with you and reminisce after more than 35 years.
I am looking forward to receiving the VCR tape about the 2003 MSB old boys reunion.
Attached are some recent photos of me and the family.
God Bless you and your family during these holidays.
Attila
…………………………………………………………………………….
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:43:09 -0800 (PST)
From: "Attila GYURIS"

Dear Laszlo,
Thanks for the forward of Andres Larsen's email address along with his MSB recollections.
He was one of my closest friends at MSB, and we both started (Sept 1964) and ended (Jun 1969) our tenure there at the same time.
I had lost contact with Andres Larsen for over 30 years now, and had always wondered what had happened with him over the years.
I am glad to have the opportunity to be able top re-establish contact with him.
I just wrote to him.
Attila Gyuris
……………………………………………………………………………………
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:54:25 -0800 (PST)
From: "Attila GYURIS"
Subject: Looking for Rommel Rosero (MSB 1965 to 1967)

Hi Laszlo,
I am wondering if you or anybody else in the MSB Old Boys network might have the email address or any contact info for Rommel Rosero.He had been a student from El Tigre, Venezuela, at The Abbey School for two years (Sep 1965 to Jun 1967.) Then I ran into him again while I was studying at the Universidad Simon Bolivar (USB), during the 70's.He graduated from the USB as Ingeniero Electronico in 1976 I think. I lost contact with him after that during, 1976-1977. I think he is still living in Venezuela, but I am not sure.
Thanks,
Attila Gyuris
(Hector Ahow has his telephone number, but has not forward it. Ed.)
…………………………………………………………………………………..
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 17:19:48 -0800 (PST)
From: "Attila GYURIS"
Subject: Some MSB memories, part 1

Hi Laszlo,
First of all, May you and your family have a wonderful New Year 2006.
Since you asked, here is my first instalment of more to follow:
****************************************************
Some of my Memories at the Abbey School. (1964-1969)
(Part 1 of more to follow)
I guess this Mount story can be told now, since the statute of limitations has probably expired. J
One of my MSB friends, Jan Koenraadt, (he was from Paramaribo, Suriname, former Dutch Guiana), who, around 1966-67, introduced me to the art of “borrowing" the Mount motor scooters.
At 0200 AM we would dress up in dark clothes, and scramble down the external rainwater pipe from the upstairs dormitory and sneak down to the Mount garage area.
There would be all these motor scooters parked (they were all Lambretta 150 cc).
Some of the monks had motor scooters assigned to them.
Fr. “Rughead”, Bro. “Cheesy”, Fr. Gregory and a few others would have theirs parked there.
Most of the time the ignition was left on.
So we would take one and let it roll downhill in silence and bump-start it when sufficiently away from the Monastery.
Then we would go thrill-riding around all the way down to Tunapuna and St. Joseph and back up.
After Jan Koenraadt left the Mount, I, being older now, occasionally continued this activity, except that I took it one step further.
I used it to go visit my girlfriend at the girls’ school in St. Joseph’s.
Let me explain:
After Fr.Theo arrived to the Mount, he realized that we needed some opposite sex social interaction and he instituted occasional “fetes” or parties at the Mount basketball court during special occasions.
Our dance partners were the girls from our “sister” school from St. Joseph’s, who were bused-in up the Mount.
Each one of us developed a strong liking to some girl with whom we slow-danced more often.
So, this girl would become our “girlfriend” (without her knowledge.)
Well, as it turns out, I was no exception.
I fell madly in “puppy love” with a blonde Dutch girl called Jennifer (I think).
I would do anything to mail her love notes and keep in touch with her.
When she finally replied I just had to go see her.
So this is where the motor scooter comes in.
I would steal a scooter to ride down to St. Josephs and sneak inside the girls’ school campus to throw little rocks at her window.
Just like in the movies.
She would sneak out and we would snuggle and talk for a little while, then I would have to return before anybody would notice the missing scooter.
I had “inside” help too.
I remember a young Italian-Venezuelan girl named Paola, - who was my Venezuelan classmate Fulvio Cantore’s girlfriend (they later married).
She was attending the same girls’ school and was a classmate of Jennifer.
She would occasionally help me with my schemes to see Jennifer.
I kept this up for almost two years.
Never got caught.
Well,… one time in1969 I almost got caught.
This time I had invited one of my classmates, the older of the two Malavér (sp?) brothers who would ride in the back of the motor scooter with me.
It had been raining and the pavement was wet.
We were riding down towards Tunapuna, and just after passing the pool and the sports field, in one of the curves I slipped and laid down the scooter on its side.
The scooter was undamaged and we were unhurt but got really scared and this night’s adventure was over as far as I was concerned.
So I picked up the scooter and we turned around to go back up.
Just as we were going up around a corner, two curves below the Pax Guest House, (where there were some private houses), we see these headlights coming down the opposite way!
I pulled over in front of one of the houses and we listened intently.
It sounded like a VW bus and it was coming down the hill!
So we scrambled off the scooter, I put it up on its centre stand, and just as the bus was rounding the corner we dove into some bushes to hide.
We heard the VW bus drive up, stop for a few seconds, then continue on.
After it drove off, we waited a few more minutes, and, with our hearts in our throats, we quickly mounted the scooter and quickly rode it back up to the garage.
We parked it back where it had been before, and we ran up the steep grade by the small boys dorm, and up to the main building.
The main door was locked, as usual.
So we scrambled up the downpipe back to bed.
I never heard back from this adventure, and never found out who was in the VW bus.
I always wondered what did the driver think when he saw the scooter parked in front of a private house at 0300 AM!
Attila Gyuris
More memories to follow......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK preferably from any U.S. Bank, to my address,: sorry but under the new laws of Venezuela, I cannot receive or send foreign currency, if caught I can be placed in jail for 3 years on the first offence, so please sent it direct to the Bank of America account of Ladislao Kertesz 02181 09151, Santa Barbara, California, USA.
For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo in this issue:
2005AG0005AGYLA, Susy, Alex, Attila Gyuris
03CR8550GRPDIN, During dinner Event 2003, NEED NAMES??
1960LK0001EDIMSB, Ladislao Kertesz in front of Church
60LK0001FAUTAS, Fr. Augustine in front of school.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would you like to collaborate with photos?? Send them to kertesz11@yahoo.com,
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com, http://msbtunapuna.blogspot.com/
Look at www.paxabbey.com, for information on the Monastery, Mt St. Benedict.
Look up for great TT photos at: Web Site: http://jgioannettiphotography.com/
Festivals & Functionsš šššššš Or Go directly toš šChutney Soca Finals 2006 (Newest) orš
For those that want to communicate with the web use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com/
Send information to: kertesz11@yahoo.com, if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com, http://msbtunapuna.blogspot.com/
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela’s time is the same as Trinidad’s, -04:00 GMT.





No comments: