22.4.06

Circular No 233





Newsletter for Alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 22 April 2006. No. 233
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Continuing with Andres Larsen, emails received until January, February emails are going to be in No. 237
A special Event, HAPPY BIRTHDAY LADISLAO, 20 of April.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 04:08:47 -0800 (PST)
From: "Andres Larsen"

Dear Laszlo:
This is a copy of the so far unanswered e-mail I sent Attila this past January 2nd.
Thanks for your help
Cordially
Andres Larsen
…………………………………………………………………….
Andres Larsen wrote:

Hi Attila:
Yes, we have been out of touch for quite some time now.
After MSB I went to Georgetown University in Washington DC for four years and then to Vienna, Austria, for another two to study Diplomacy which I then never got into because instead back here I went working twenty six years in banking (with Banco Provincial) until I was laid off three years ago.
With the bank I did work my way around this country in Maracaibo (10 years), Caracas (10 years), Puerto Ordaz (3 years) and Valencia (3 years).
So here I am now aged 53, single, with no kids, trying to get started as a translator for English and eventually German although I still must pass that legal translation exam after having flunked it on my first try (I get two more chances).
In the meantime both of my parents passed away (recently two to three years ago) and now my brother Christian and I just sold our house in Club Hipico about three hours before midnight on New Year's Eve.
Christian lives up near Los Teques with his wife Jacqueline, three kids (daughters Vanessa and Mairene, and son Emmanuel) and the mother in law.
He has his own small local and international furniture moving and storage business.
The last I heard from you I remember you were studying to become a chemical engineer at the Universidad Simon Bolivar here.
Then I heard from I don't recall whom that you graduated and went to the States and settled somewhere in California.
Ladislao said something that you are still over there and that you married and have a son.
Apparently you sent him a lengthy fullfledged news update on yourself and your family about a month ago.
Write.......
Andres Larsen
…………………………………………………………………………………..
Attila GYURIS wrote:

Hi Andres:
I just received a forwarding of Laszlo Kertesz's Mount St. Benedict Circulars with your MSB "...recollections and ramblings...".
Brought back so many memories and I am marvelled at your recollection of names and places long forgotten.
I always wondered what happened to you over the years.
Glad to have found you again through this wonderful medium of the internet.
Write....
Attila Gyuris
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 04:03:30 -0800 (PST)
From: "Andres Larsen"

Dear Lazslo,
I recently wrote Attila an e-mail but received no reply from him.
Maybe he is vacationing somewhere with his family.
I sent him a news update on myself.
I would be very interested in receiving your Circular of about a little over a month ago, which you mentioned in our phone call, and which has his lengthy update since his time at MSB.
I would appreciate this very much.
Separately I'm sending you a copy of the so far unanswered e-mail I sent Attila.
Cordially and best regards
Andres Larsen
---------……………………..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,--------------.
Date:Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:53:14 -0800 (PST)
From: "Andres Larsen"

Dear Ladislao,
There is something else I noticed in your most recent newsletter and which brings back another memory.
I believe it was either in 1968 or in 1969 that Trinidad was hit by a strong tremor late at night.
The epicenter was somewhere to the north.
I was at that time sleeping in the dorm upstairs which, if I remember correctly was up on the third floor in the main building.
We all ran downstairs and somebody kicked open the dorm door of the dorm which was at ground level on the eastern side towards the Abbey itself.
I pride myself on still recalling the MSB aerial outline.
Any way, that person almost lost its ankle with the karate kick to the door handle.
Why I bring up all of this is that north of Grenada an undersea volcano by the name of Kick 'em Jenny is slowly rising of the sea floor at the outer eastern rim of the Caribbean basin where the Caribbean tectonic plate meets the Atlantic tectonic plate.
There will probably more seaquakes in the region also perhaps affecting our Margarita Island.
The volcano is expected to break the sea's surface within the next 20 years.
More updated information on this growing undersea volcano can probably gleaned from the Google search engine.
Best regards
Andres
…………………………………………………………………………
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 06:05:26 -0800 (PST)
From: "Andres Larsen"

Dear Ladislao,
Talking about the dorm upstairs on the third floor of the main building, another piecemeal recollection comes to mind.
The bigger Venezuelans would shinny up and down the rain drainage pipes from the WC room at night for their wild nights out on the town in Port Of Spain after whichever Benedictine who was overseeing the dorm had gone to sleep after prayers in his cubicle.
We all slept in double bed bunks.
Once one of the Venezuelans, I don't recall which one, coming back in up the pipe, slipped in the WC room next to the urinals and bled heavily.
The next morning obviously the Benedictine doing his rounds found out because of all the blood in the WC room and the bed of the guy who was of course sent packing home expelled without further notice.
…………………………………………………………………………………
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:30:21 -0800 (PST)
From: "Andres Larsen"

Dear Ladislao,
Reading through your most recent newsletter I came across the mention made of Tucupita.
I do remember him now.
It was Adolfo (or maybe Alfonso) Brito Daumaitre from Tucupita.
That time when I ran into Humberto Mezzana in Caripe del Guacharo I had also visited Daumaitre in Tucupita and slept overnight in his house in a chinchorro.
At that time years ago all his family slept in a room in chinchorros.
I kept falling out of mine.
The only two other times I have tried to sleep overnight in a chinchorro were coming back from Canaima over land not far from Puedpa (where the Leonis had their big cattle ranch) and El Manteco; and once also in Molinete by Carrasquero where the Salesianos have an agricultural training center in Zulia.
Now that you mention it I do vaguely remember the Malavers from El Tigre and also Alfredo Montiel whom I did see once in the early seventies here in Caracas.
I still haven't received the Circular you offered to send me in our phone conversation with the information update from Attila Gyuris on himself and his family in Riverside, California.
I understand from what I can glean from the Google search engine that Attila is an ultralight fiberglass aircraft flight instructor.
That keeps in going with his outdoors enthusiast character.
I will always remember him throwing his bush knife at targets and wielding his cutlass to tame the bamboo into all sorts of tree houses and platforms.
He was a truly great tree climber.
There is somebody else who also comes vaguely to mind.
A guy I think who was later expelled.
He was also from somewhere in the Oriente venezolano and he went by the nickname of Nazi.
He was always taunting and harassing me until I one day got fed up and gripped his head in a wrestler's arm lock until he promised to stop bothering me, all this in front of a crowd going up to the Refectory one morning for breakfast.
After that nobody really messed with me anymore.
I do remember something not so pleasant about the Abbey School and that was a tendency of the older boys to lord it over the younger ones.
I never did that and always tried to get along on the best terms with the younger ones as I also gradually approached Form 5 and the end of my five year stay at Mount St. Benedict.
……………………………………………………………………………….
From: "Adolfo del Jesus Aumaitre Brito"
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 01:45:17 +0200

Apreciado amigo,
Te escribo estas cortas lineas para hacerte saber que recibi tu E-mail y esta demas decirte que en la Direccion Regional de Salud del Estado Monagas, Coordinacion de Salud Visual, estoy totalmente a la orden para lo que se te ofrezca a ti o a cualquiera de los OLD BOYS del Abbey school.
Un afectuoso saludo,
Dr. Adolfo Aumaitre Brito
Dear friend
I am writing these short lines to let you know that I received your email and it is to let you know that at the Direccion Regional de Salud del Estado Monagas, Coordinacion de Salud Visual, I am totally at your disposal in whatever you need for you or any of the old boys of the Abbey School.
………………………………………………………………………………….
Just before closing, the Circular has lost the following Old Boys.
1. Capt. John Dulieu
2. Frederick Du Coudray (First Citizen Bank TT) (868) 623 2576
3. Roger Farah
4. Gioannetti, Gerard
5. Gonsales, Garvin (868) 620 8740
6. Christopher De Gannes
7. Laughlin, Harry (868) 625 3159
8. Charles, Ronald, Dr. (868) 628 5596
9. Allen, Keith Andrew
10. Ames, Michael (868) 628 6335
These are wanted ALIVE, can anyone help???, It would be nice to have the telephone number confirmed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK preferably from any U.S. Bank, to my address,: sorry but under the new laws of Venezuela, I cannot receive or send foreign currency, if caught I can be placed in jail for 3 years on the first offence, so please sent it direct to the Bank of America account of Ladislao Kertesz 02181 09151, Santa Barbara, California, USA.
For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.
God Bless
Ladislao
Photo in this issue:
2006LK0001LKGRP, Peter Morvay, Ladislao Kertesz, Andres Larsen
06AL0001ALACSC, Queen’s Scout Certificate of Andres Larsen
1913UN0002EDIMSB, front of the old chapel.
57LK0001BVIGRP, Bro Vincent and kids. (I need your help LIONEL !!!)
Would you like to collaborate with photos?? Send them to kertesz11@yahoo.com,
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com, http://msbtunapuna.blogspot.com/
Look at www.paxabbey.com, for information on the Monastery, Mt St. Benedict.
Look up for great TT photos at: Web Site: http://jgioannettiphotography.com/
Festivals & Functionsš šššššš Or Go directly toš šChutney Soca Finals 2006 (Newest) orš
Send information to: kertesz11@yahoo.com, if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela’s time is the same as Trinidad’s, -04:00 GMT.






No comments: