8.7.06

Circular No 244





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 8 July 2006. No. 244
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
A new comer to this Circular, Pete Da Costa thank you for your joining the group.
Please remember to use the numbers that identify the photos so that I may make the necessary name corrections.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Pete Da Costa" petesco@sympatico.ca
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 21:06:36 -0400

#9 ?? Vargas Venezuela (Father was Ambassador to US in Washington)
#11 David (I think) Da Costa Barbados (Parents lived in South Africa) He also had a brother Stephen.
#14 ??? Gomez(I think) T'dad
#17 ??? Diaz "
#19 Pierre ??? Martinique
#20 Eden Hutton T'dad (Last I heard in San Francisco)
#26 ??? Gonzalez(I think) T'dad
Eden Hutton, Peter Laughlin and I sat together from Form 1 to Form 4.
I came across Eden Hutton from a business associate in Burbank who told me he had a guy from Trinidad working for him and his name was Eden Hutton.
I never did make contact as he left and went to work for United Airlines.
I left MSB at the end of Form 4 in 1961 and never did graduate,
I moved to Canada in 65 and went back to school and graduated in 1971 with an Aircraft Maintenance Diploma from Centennial College in Toronto and have been in aviation ever since.
I don't have a current resume.
I live in Cambridge, Ontario with my wife; my two daughters live nearby, my son lives between Ottawa and Montreal.
Many grandchildren and love it.
I work at the Hamilton Airport in Hamilton Ontario.
I currently manage the Kelowna Flightcraft Aircraft Maintenance Facility where we maintain a fleet of 20 Boeing-727s and perform Heavy Maintenance Checks on Boeing 727, 737-200-800 & 757s.
No immediate plans to retire.
I found a Geoff Golding who lives 20 miles from me but I lost his address.
I will be in touch.
Regards
Pete
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:03 PM

Dear Pete
Thank you for joining us.
How did you get the email?.
Please mention the photo’s number as I am trying to straighten out the missing names and check those that were forwarded.
Can you send a resume and graduation year Form V, also the names of your friends or classmates?
I have DAVID and SIMON in the list but no information. Were there any others of the clan?
Any photo actual of from the past, that you may want to share with your friends?
God Bless
LAdislao
………………………………………………………………………….
Pete Da Costa wrote:

Hi
My name is Peter Da Costa and I am #7 in the picture.
I still remember some of the names in that picture.
Pete
……………………………………………………………………
Here is an old letter from John Scott to Art Knaggs

20 April 1983
It is always a great pleasure over the years to receive your OASIS letter.
Sorry I don’t have any excuse for not contacting you before.
I take the full blame.
Normally in this area of Talara Peru, we enjoy a long hot summer but this year it has turned wet after 11 years without rain, influenced by the famous “El NiƱo” current of the Pacific.
The damage at this point cannot be estimated, but I can assure it is in the millions of $.
The above address is our US home but I continue to work in Peru for the present.
Mike Scott has been living in Houston for a few years now,
Philip is in Aberdeen Scotland and
Andrew Scott is also in Houston.
As you know we have 9 children, 5 boys, 4 girls.
3 of the girls are married and 2 boys – 9 grandchildren, not bad.
Would you say?
Some in the Us, some in Venezuela, some n Peru.
We are hoping to take our Peruvian kids to Trinidad for vacation this year and let them see the place and next family.
They should enjoy a trip down the islands.
Maybe we will xxx of these days in out travels.
My saludos to the family.
God bless take care.
John
P.S. if you think of it send me some Canadian Stamps, I’ll send you some Peruvian.
……………………………………………………………………
Here is additional information on David, see Circular No. 243 and I have included a photo of David and wife.
From: "david decastro"
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 23:28:16 +0000

Delano de Castro phone # is 868-624-3695 address is 41b St Anns rd, St. Anns Trinidad.
I think he would be happy to hear from you.
Dave " the bandit" by the way did you hear that they robed some missionaries that came to help Trinidad while staying at the Pax guest house ?
They also shot one in the leg.
They all went back to Canada saying that there is no hope for Trinidad and that they will never come back to Trinidad.
If the government had adopted A NO TOLERANCE ATTITUDE TO CRIME TRINIDAD WOULD NEVER BE IN THIS SITUATION.
I have no sympathy for idiot governments better go before I get started.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: ladislao kertesz
To: david decastro
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 13:08:11 -0700 (PDT)

Dear David
Sorry about Delano.
Do you have telf no., email address for his new house?
God bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
david decastro wrote:

Hi ladislao,
Delano de Castro is my brother he lives in Trinidad.
His house burned down a few months ago and he had no insurance.
I cannot understand Trinidadians.
Thank god I live in the u.s.a.
Regards
"the bandit" dave
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Vernon B. De Lima"
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 18:13:00 -0400

Dear Ladislao,
You do not know me since I left the Mount in 1965.
I do read all your dispatches and must congratulate you on same.
Really it is a delight to see all the old pictures of the Abbey School and the old boys, and from time to time I even print some of the things you send and show it around to old boys who are my contemps.
A few weeks ago you sent a photo of yourself (I suspect) and Manuelo Prada.
He was a dear friend of mine at Mount and I would be interested in contacting him. Please send me his address if you have it.
In the meantime keep up the good work..
Sincerely.
Vernon B. De Lima
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:28:13 -0400

Ladislao,
Good of you to keep me in copy as to date i have not paid my dues, here goes now.
Was at Mount from 55-59 and have good memories of lots of people and happenings, today am still good friends with many old boys here in TT,
In 59 went off to Tipperary in Ireland to boarding school, only then did i realise that Mount was not so bad after all...
Imagine, one scheduled bath a week!!!
There were some other trinis there so we soon fixed that.
Up there was:
Gary henderson....
Sammy...
Gordon Thavenot,
Angus de Boehmler,
Toey du Coudray
Paddy Lawrence and a couple others.
It was a tough life with plenty tasteless food and cold no ass.
Did Building Surveying at College in Dublin after for 2-3 yrs and returned to TT after 8 yrs in all, straight into 67 Carnival !!! that was great!!
Selling is my thing I guess, so sold the famous Dover plan for 3 yrs then started Publishing Co with Ram Kirpalani where Erica Williams was our first employee, three yrs later started a Real estate company on POS with the notorious Percy Huggins and Roger Murray.
Our first sale was to an old boy, Geoff Herrera !!
Got married in 74 and have 3 boys, Great wife and all doing well.
Raised show dogs, mainly Rhodesian Ridgebacks German Shepherds and enjoyed that sport for years.
Got into golf in 82 and I am still an avid golfer with a handicap of 7-9 depending on the game.
Migrated to Boca Raton in Florida for 4 yrs but came back in 90 as that is not my place.
Started a radio station 97.1, the More music less talk station with Peter Ames (old Boy) and ran that for 11 yrs before going back to selling Real Estate,
Last year took over the running of Terra Caribbean, one of the best full service real estate cos in TT and the Caribbean.
We have great offices and employ 17 persons, even have a Valuation division and property management too!!
Still married to same wife and still see many of the old boys often, in fact Roger Henderson and I are now doing Spanish Lessons every Tuesday to try to learn your language in case Chavez decides to take TT over next year.
I guess that’s it for now, a BIG Hello to all my old friends that I have not seen or heard from for years.
Hope you all are as well and happy as I am!!
Jeansie
(please send me the emails of the old boys mentioned. Ed.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladislao,
Thanks for including me in your mails.
It is good to hear of the progress of
the old boys.
Maybe I came into this late but am not aware of what are the dues for the year.
Please let me know so I can fix up and the I will be able to give you an update on this old boy
thanks
Jeansie
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK preferably from any U.S. Bank, to my address,: sorry but under the new laws of Venezuela, I cannot receive or send foreign currency, if caught I can be placed in jail for 3 years on the first offence, so please sent it direct to the Bank of America account of Ladislao Kertesz 02181 09151, Santa Barbara, California, USA.
For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos in this issue:
06DD0001DDCGRP, David de Castro and wife in Florida
58LK0001LKKSFI, photo of the sports field.
57NB0001EHU, Eden Hutton
57NB0001MCE, Charles McEnearney





No comments: