7.10.06

Circular No 257





Newsletter for Alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 7 October 2006. No. 257
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
I take this opportunity to send a compendium of emails from Raymond Devaux.
The only thing missing are the latest and hopefully yesteryear photos.
Hope that next year we can publish something similar for Alain, Charles and Patrick, on individual Circulars of course.
Raymond, please send me your home address and telephone numbers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Art & Val Knaggs
Sent: Monday, November 7, 4:39 PM
Subject: Big Hearted

Raymond,
Thanks for trying to get to me when you heard that I was ill; but we were travelling for a Year and had disconnected our phone, but could not get back our number when we returned, it is now 902-404-5845.
Had a long chat with Micheline & John (J.D.) and she made me aware of your recent challenge of having such a big, kind heart that they had to run special lines to and from it to help you continue to spread joy, happiness (and some golf tips) with the rest of us.
Our prayers are with you and your precious wife, and we all wish you a speedy recovery.
Not sure if you are on the Mount 'Old Boys' weekly Bulletin list; but Ladislao (in Venezuela has been keeping up the contact with the Old Mounties, since I stopped the old Mount Outside, and then the OASIS.
I will ask him to put you on the list (as well as Alain & Patrick), as Circular 198 shows a picture of Desmond & Patrick Devaux, so Patrick may well be able to identify some of the missing names.
You can all look it up on:
So will copy Alain & Patrick, but don't know Desmond.
Get well soon and keep in Touch.
I was at Mount from 1943 to 1949, when were you there (I guess around the same time).
All our love and prayers,
Art
(Need information on J.D. since they have not sent any information as yet. Ed.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Raymond Devaux"
Subject: Michel Vivies
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 14:17:54 -0400

Dear Ladislao,
Michel Vivies was not Raymond's brother but a first cousin to him.
He was younger than Raymond and myself and was at mount at the same period as us.
He was also from Guadeloupe but since he was younger than us we were not close friends.
I remember that he was quite wild and liked to fight.
I have no contacts with him but I am sure his family in Guadeloupe will be able to help you.
I am enjoying your weekly newsletter especially when it has reference to the boys in the 1950's.
I was a close friend of Raymond and I am the one that introduced him to the boys at the mount.
He was quite a character.
Raymond Devaux
Montreal, Canada
(I have been told that Raymond Vivies has died. Ed)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Raymond Devaux"
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 12:32:23 -0400

Dear Ladislao,
I do remember Fr. Leo very well. (Please write a few lines. Ed)
I believe Alain was in his airscouts group.
At that time there was only 2 troops and I was in Fr. Idlefons' group.
Alain to whom I sent a copy of this email will be able to give you more details.
I do not know either John or Desmond Devaux, they were not at Mount during my time.
Maybe Patrick knows them.
I sent Patrick a copy of this email so that he will let you know.
Alain's email is: aldevaux@hy.cgocable.ca
Charles Devaux I do not know, maybe you mean Patrick whose address is: pdevauxchubb@hotmail.com
Regards,
Raymond Devaux
(Would like news on the airscouts and Fr. Leo. Ed.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Raymond
Thank you for the email.
I am including it in my new one.
I wonder if you remember Fr. Leo and the airscouts??
The third troop at the mount?
I am sure you must have answered this before but I have no record,
I have in my list a John Devaux and a Desmond Devaux? Were there??
Also please indicate the addresses of Alain, and Charles.
God bless
Ladislao
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Raymond Devaux"
Date: 1 Jan 12:30 (PST)

Dear Ladislao,
Thank you very much for your card which I only received today because I did not open my e-mails since I left Florida for Montreal on December 18.
I also wish you a very happy year and a lot of good health.
I looked for my Cambridge certificate but I am unable to find it, however, I believe that I graduated in 1950 or 1951.
I do not remember too many of my class mates.
Some of them are:
Dr Hamelin,
Desmond Rostant (Died a few years ago),
Phillip Nassief from Dominica,
Leary & Richard O''Connor, now living in Australia,
Crompton DuBoulay from St Lucia.
It was a small class of about 12.
Others who were also in form 5a or 5b were Arthur Knaggs, now living in Halifax,
Phillip Scott (Also died),
Trevor Evelyn (who was a very fast short-run runner),
Ronney Lambkin (now living in Halifax), (need email address, ed)
Peter Ferguson. (need email, salvador, ed)
As you can see we were among the first students at Mt St Benedict.
I remember I loved mathematics and therefore was very close to Fr. Paul, who taught maths.
I was the first and only student at the time to take higher mathematics at school.
I also became a King scout under the guidance of Fr Idlephons.
I saw my brother, Patrick, who told me that he was very happy to have received your news; he told me that he left in 1960 so he knows many of the people that are mentioned.
I do not have pictures since at that time cameras were not too common.
I do have one when we were in Tobago, sitting in the back of an open small jitney with Brother Anthony and a few students.
I will try to find it and send it to you.
Well, Ladislao, thanks again for the news from The School and please keep in touch.
Best regards,
Raymond Devaux
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Raymond Devaux
Date: 10 Dec 14:22 (PST)

Dear Ladislao,
I am in Florida now but will be going to Montreal on December 18, when I will be in Montreal I will give you the date that I graduated (Senior Cambridge Certificate at that time) it is a long time ago, sometime in the early 1950's, but I will check the date on my certificate.
I know Richard and Leary O'Connors who where at MSB during my time, are they the one's you are referring to in your e-mail?
They live in Australia and I have their e-mail address in Montreal which I will forward to you when I get there.
I do not know Driver nor Anthony Lucky.
Do you know Arthur Knaggs?
He is also one of my generation and he has a lot of contacts with the boys of our time.
If you wish I can also get the information as to how you can contact him.
I do not know anyone on the circular that you sent Alain, but it is interesting.
What year did you graduate a MSB.?
Best,
Raymond
(Graduated in 1960. Ed.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ray
Thank you for responding.
I hope you liked the Circular that I sent Alain!!
If you know other Mount boys, please send them the Circular that I shall be sending you soon, it is weekly.
Could you tell me if you met the OʼConnors??
Driver??
or Anthony Lucky??
Can you tell me when did you graduate at Mount, that is Form V?? If you did not then when did you graduate, I need the year to place you with others of your time!!.
God Bless
Ladislao
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:25:41 -0500, Raymond Devaux wrote:

Dear Ladislao,
You sent a message to my brother, Alain Devaux, saying that you are looking for myself who attended Mt St Benedict in the nineteen forties and also for my other brother Patrick Devaux whose e-mail is: ( patrick.devaux@chubbsecurity.com) or (pdevauxchubb@hotmail.com).
Alain Devaux also attended Mt St Benedict in the nineteen fifties.
Unfortunately I do not know any of the people that you mention in your e-mail but I would like to hear from you.
I live in Montreal, Canada during the summer months and in Ft Lauderdale, Florida during the winter months.
Best,
Raymond Devaux
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this issue I sent you all the emails from Raymond.
I hope that we will receive additional information on events at the Mount not only from Raymond but also from others as the Circular needs your help.
God Bless
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo in this issue:
53AD0004EDIMSB, main gate
50AD0002RDERVI, Raymond Devaux and Raymond Vivies
50AD0001RDELOC, Raymond Devaux and Leary OConnor
02RD0001RDE, Raymond Devaux




No comments: